GPRS

Forum for the Open GPS Tracker

GPRS

Postby ramatweb » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:45 pm

Can the device send gps coordinates, speed and altitude via GPRS as a data packet ? I ask because SMS will be very expensive as I want to track a moving vehicle every 15 seconds for 12 hours.
ramatweb

Re: GPRS

Postby Mike » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:53 am

That would require a whole different program. You would also need a module (like the GC864) that supports GPRS.
Mike
Site Admin

Postby ramatweb » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:39 am

Thank you for the reply. I am interested in your device but would like to use a GPRS. Did you have similar queries before ? Did you build one like this ? Can you refer me to some literature or tutorial to build one ? Thanks.
ramatweb

Postby Mike » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:44 am

Plenty of people asked. No, I have not built one.
How you do it depends on the modem you are using.
If you have a modem that supports "Easy-GPRS" or equivalent, the modem can handle
GPRS and give you a pipe between the serial port and a remote TCP endpoint on the Internet.
In that case you can just dial up with AT commands and pass through the serial I/O.

If your modem does not support Easy-GPRS, then you need a whole TCP/IP stack. Good luck with that.

Even with Easy-GPRS you would need a MCU with two serial ports. Doing one hardware and one software
UART on a ATMEGAx8 would be possible. If someone hired me to build one I could, but it would be
quite a bit of work.

Mike
Mike
Site Admin

Postby ramatweb » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:16 am

Thank you Mike. Could you please give me a cost estimate of such a device (GPRS capabilities) ? Thanks again.
ramatweb

Postby Mike » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:54 am

Hardware, a couple hundred dollars each. That is a GC864 or similar and a GPS module.
Software, a couple thousand. That gets you a hand built prototype and source code.
Manufacturing is obviously going to cost a lot more.

You would need a lot more power for GPRS. It's only practical installed in a car.

Mike
Mike
Site Admin

Return to General tracker discussion