Strict Standards: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead in /homepages/38/d241675448/htdocs/phpBB3/viewtopic.php on line 988

Strict Standards: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead in /homepages/38/d241675448/htdocs/phpBB3/viewtopic.php on line 988
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:988)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4286: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:988)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:988)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:988)
opengpstracker.org • View topic - Remote Start Interface

Remote Start Interface

Forum for the Open GPS Tracker

Remote Start Interface

Postby jerkykid » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:43 pm

Hello everyone, I know there has been some discussion of a remote start interface for cars here. I am looking to do exactly that. Most (almost all remote auto starters) have a trigger wire to activate the system.
Really all that needs to be done is momentarily grounding one single wire for a .5 second. After that, all aspects of starting the vehicle are handled by the starter system. Therefore there is no need to be concerned with anti-grind or tach or anything else of that nature. What would be the bare-minimum for achieving this? I wouldn't think I would need the gps module for that. I just want to start simple then build the unit with gps and all sorts of goodies.
jerkykid

Re: Remote Start Interface

Postby Mike » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:39 am

The car security mode already has unlock, ignition disable, and honk/flash. Adding remote start would be a few lines of code, a relay, and a transistor.
Mike
Site Admin

Postby Denis » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:54 am

You can get this by simply attaching a photo transistor to the phone's screen.
You don't even need a micro for that.
Denis

Postby jerkykid » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:33 pm

Many of the newer cars however are very picky about timing (ign1 ign2 ign3) they also require security bypasses. The starters I have been installing for a few years now also have a built in module for bypassing the security, running door locks trunk releases among many other things. Any vehicles that are newer than 06 mostly run on a CAN data bus. This makes a relay solution almost out of the question. This is why I want to just stick to the ground the trigger wire idea. I thought about the idea of a photo trigger but what IF the phone came on for whatever reason? maybe the battery started complaining about a low charge or something. I dont want the car to start for no reason. The company already produces a add on for the starter unit which provides tracking and doorlocks but I am bent on doing this myself :D http://www.computrack.com is the website.
jerkykid

Postby Denis » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:10 pm

You can experiment with the phone to check when the screen lights up. I don't think it comes on other than when you make or receive calls.
Denis

Postby Mike » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:51 am

My phones get marketing spam SMS and occasional wrong numbers. The screen light detector is not a good approach. The Tracker firmware can produce an electrical event (contact closure or optocoupler output) on receipt of an SMS, but getting the car to start is another problem altogether.

Mike
Mike
Site Admin

Postby jerkykid » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:37 pm

Well, I have decided its time to attempt to build this.. I would like to use a gsm module(sim on board) instead of the cell phone. I cannot even find the phones anymore. Which pcb and other parts do I need to order? I really only want to build the system to trigger a relay (to run the auto start), run the door locks, and possibly add tracking later. I am not real familiar with programming but it seems somewhat intuitive.
jerkykid

Postby jerkykid » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:37 am

Well, on second thought, I just looked at the prices for the gsm boards...Expensive! maybe a phone is the way to go. Any other phones working with this setup? I cannot find the phone used in this article
jerkykid

Postby jerkykid » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:56 am

okay, I was looking at the wrong price.. so I want to build this. I would like to base the system around the gc864 module, I only need 3 controlled outputs. Which pcb should I buy? also I read in the build 19 article about getting the additional RS-EB-S3 board. Do I need this extra hardware? I guess I am looking for some help with what hardware I need
jerkykid

Postby Mike » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:57 pm

Yes you need the extender board, unless you are making a surface mount PCB.
Schematics are here:
http://www.opengpstracker.org/gc864_schematic.png
http://www.opengpstracker.org/car_interface.png

I have a long term goal to port to Nokia phones, but the GC864 and C168i are the best available right now. The C168i is available on Ebay cheaply.

Mike
Mike
Site Admin

Next

Return to General tracker discussion