Strict Standards: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EST/-5.0/no DST' instead in /homepages/38/d241675448/htdocs/phpBB3/viewtopic.php on line 988

Strict Standards: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EST/-5.0/no DST' instead in /homepages/38/d241675448/htdocs/phpBB3/viewtopic.php on line 988
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:988)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4286: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:988)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:988)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:988)
opengpstracker.org • View topic - New project: One-LED clock

New project: One-LED clock

Forum for the one-LED clock project

New project: One-LED clock

Postby Mike » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:25 am

This is the forum for the one-LED clock, described at:
http://www.opengpstracker.org/one-led-clock.html

Summary: it is a clock that blinks the time with a two-color LED, so people with limited vision can read it from across the room.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: New project: One-LED clock

Postby puppetboy » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:47 pm

I am working on a clock that will display time using 12 LEDs. I embed the LEDs in concrete countertops or run 12 light pipes through the concrete. I am considering various blinking methods to show minutes and hours. I would also like to do a 24 hour version.
Gus
puppetboy

Postby Mike » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:57 pm

How about 12 two-color LEDs in a circular pattern, emulating a mechanical clock? You would display hours in red, and minutes in green. If they overlap, display yellow. That would only be accurate to five minutes, like my clock.

You could have four LEDs at the bottom to show exact minutes.

MIke
Mike
Site Admin

Postby puppetboy » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:15 pm

Mike
That is a great idea. One of my clocks has colored light pipes , so I cannot use the colored LED idea. Maybe I could have two light intensities.
Gus
puppetboy

Postby Mike » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:29 pm

Here are a few art clock ideas I've had:

R R R R R R R R R R R R
G G G G G G G G G G G G
Y Y Y Y

or

R R R R G G G G
R R R R G G G G
R R R R G G G G
Y Y Y Y

Twelve red LEDs at the top light up to show the hour.
Twelve green LEDs below that light to show the five-minute interval.
Four yellow LEDs below that show the minute.

Clocks with mechanical displays are also interesting. Two I'd like to see:
Metal ring with a hub in the middle. Time is displayed by short and long lengths of wire, with a ball-bearing at the end, which rotate around like regular clock hands, with no visible support. There would be electromagnets in the ring to step the "hands" around.

Flat black surface, with Roman numeral markings in a circle. Two ball bearings are stuck to it with no visible means of support, and step around to indicate the time. Electromagnets behind the surface would be driven sequentially.
Mike
Site Admin

Postby puppetboy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:57 am

Those are great ideas
I love magnet projects
Gus
puppetboy

Return to One-LED clock discussion